Sunday, January 11, 2009

A catch up

I just wanted to explain a little of where I'm at right now with my photography.

I know it seems a little cliched but I've never had any previous experience with photography but I have always been interested in it, and have long since wanted a DSLR of my own. For my birthday, just over 2 months ago, I was given a Canon 450D with the 18-55mm kit lens, a 50mm f/1.8 lens, and a Lowepro Apex 140 AW bag. Needless to say I was in heaven! Since then I have slowly acquired a Velbon CX640 tripod, a Lowepro Flipside 200 bag, and I now have a 430EX II speedlite on order. I have a long way to go before I have mastered this equipment so I think it'll do me for now.

After I received my camera I spent about 2 minutes clicking away on auto mode, then changed straight over to manual mode with no idea what I was doing. I was determined to master manual mode from the start so I have since refused to change back. I have read (and re-read) Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" which has been invaluable in helping me understand the basics of manual photography. That book (together with the instruction manual for my camera) never leaves my side!

I have joined a few photography forums where I read as much as I can to learn as much as I can. I've posted some images up for CC which has really shown me what to focus on for the moment. I'll be back soon to post some of those images here, along with the CC I received, but for now I have to go as we're having guests over for dinner and I need to get cook!

No comments: